Fish Fillet in a Bacon Coat, ingenious Recipe with Video Instructions and Professional Tips
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1. Fish coated with Ham
- 2. Fish Fillet with Bacon Coating
- 3. Saithe in Bacon Coat
- 4. Salmon in Bacon Coat in Oven
- 5. Fish with Bacon Cubes
- 6. Side Dishes Fish Fillet in Bacon Coat
- 7. Video Fish Fillet in Bacon Coat
- 8. Recipe Fish Fillet in Bacon Coat
- 9. Calories (kcal) Fish in Bacon Coat on Spinach, Nutritional Values
1. Fish coated with HamThe cooked ham is unsuitable for this kind of preparation from my point of view, better is a breakfast bacon or a traditional bacon. The drier the bacon is, the saltier the bacon becomes when roasted. You can leave the salt out of the fish, because the bacon has enough salt and taste. I wouldn’t coat whole fish with bacon, but only fish fillets without skin.
Salmon coated with ham, I only use saithe for it, the real salmon does not taste to me with bacon!
2. Fish Fillet with Bacon CoatingThe preparation has a purpose: cod, cod, halibut and saithe are quite sensitive fish species, the fillet disintegrates quickly if it is fried for too long. Here the bacon has a twofold effect: firstly it stabilizes the fish fillet, secondly the fish fillet is protected by the bacon coat during the roasting.
Fish with bacon, that tastes great, hearty and strong.
3. Saithe in Bacon CoatI prefer to cut the fish fillets of coalfish smaller and try to make sure that the bacon covers the whole fish fillet well. In the end you will get an evenly cooked fish fillet on your plate. If the fish fillet is only wrapped in the middle, the fish fillet without bacon will cook faster and can disintegrate. You’re welcome to try it out, saithe, cod, halibut and cod taste great in a bacon coat.
4. Salmon in Bacon Coat in OvenThis variant only makes sense for me when I get guests or when I have to prepare fish fillet in a bacon coat for 300 people. You simply won’t get the bacon crispy if you put the fish fillet in the bacon coat right in the oven. The bacon needs contact heat, please always put the fish fillet in the bacon coat into the pan first, fry it over high heat with some sunflower oil until crispy. Then put it on a cold baking tray (let it cool down) and when the guests are there, “shoot” it hot in the oven – hot air or grill at at least 240°C for 3-5 minutes. This preparation only works with thick fillets, if the fish fillet is too thin, you can only fry it fresh, because otherwise the fish will cook too fast.
Fish fillet with bacon coat in the oven, please get thick fillets and fry them in the pan before!
5. Fish with Bacon CubesThis would be a simple variation of fish with bacon. Fry the bacon cubes in a pan until crispy, prepare them in a bowl, then fry the fish fillet and serve sprinkled with the bacon cubes.
6. Side Dishes Fish Fillet in Bacon CoatHere are some ideas: The fish in the bacon coat tastes good on a cream spinach, on truffle spinach, on mashed potatoes, on truffled mashed potatoes, with parsley potatoes, with thyme potatoes, with steamed asparagus and sauce hollandaise, … You can also serve the fish in the bacon coat with root vegetables, horseradish sauce and potatoes. I show a variant in the recipe trout fillet with side dishes and sauce. The fish in the bacon coat can be prepared instead of fried trout fillets. You can also combine the fish fillet in the pack coat with a soft apple sauerkraut and conjure up a light white wine sauce from the sauerkraut juice with a little cream and prosecco.
Noble: fish fillet in bacon coat on champagne chutney and champagne sauce!
7. Video Fish Fillet in Bacon CoatIn the video I show you the preparation of fish in a bacon coat step by step, as a side dish I serve a leaf spinach with garlic and lemon. It is a food combining dish, if you want to serve potatoes with it you can do that.
8. Recipe Fish Fillet in Bacon CoatMy simple recipe should give you a good example for the simple preparation of this food. Try out some variations yourself and test other side dishes and refine according to your own idea!
Note: Always place cooked, grilled or fried fish on warm, warmed plates!
Fish Fillet in Bacon Coat
Fish fillet in a bacon coat shown with cod as an example, this preparation also works with saithe, cod and halibut. A recipe by Thomas Sixt with detailed instructions and cooking video.
|leaf spinach fresh
|dry white wine
|cod fillet (or redfish fillet)
Please wash the fresh leaf spinach first, I always do this several times and change the cold water over and over again. Spinach can be very sandy and must therefore be thoroughly washed. Then drain well in a sieve or spin dry in a salad spinner. Prepare all the ingredients from the list and prepare them for cooking. The fish fillet should be prepared without skin and bones, I either let my fish dealer do it or buy already prepared, frozen fish fillets.
Cut the shallots in half, peel and cut into cubes. Heat a pan and sauté the shallots in a little olive oil. I like to do this in a coated pan, then it is easier! Add the pine nuts, add the well washed and cleaned spinach to the shallot cubes and the pine nuts.
Add the finely chopped garlic to the spinach, shallots and pine nuts should now have taken some color, deglaze with dry white wine, season with salt and pepper (optionally nutmeg), cook with lid, turn off stove. You will notice that this is very quick, the spinach should not be overcooked but still have a light bite.
Cut the cod fillet into pieces, wrap in the bacon and fry on both sides in a pan with a little olive oil. If you only cover the fish on two sides with bacon, fry the fish only on the bacon sides. The result will be better!
Refine the cooked spinach leaves with lemon juice and season again with salt and pepper as required and arrange.
Place the cod roasted on both sides in a bacon coat on the spinach, drizzle with cold olive oil and serve quickly.
9. Calories (kcal) Fish in Bacon Coat on Spinach, Nutritional Values
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don’t forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!