Making Mayonnaise with the Mixer, Recipe with Cooking Video Instructions
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
1. Definition MayonnaiseMayonnaise is a cold sauce and is used as a basic recipe for many preparations. If the homemade mayo is successful, then it is an emulsion, an even mixture of egg yolk, vegetable oil, lemon juice or vinegar, mustard and salt. The mustard acts as a binding agent, as an “emulsifier”. The intensive stirring combines the ingredients to a creamy sauce mayonnaise. Where does the name mayonnaise come from? The exact origin of the mayonnaise is uncertain. The name refers to Maó, Spanish “Mahon”, which is the capital of the small Balearic island of Menorca. According to tradition, the coldly stirred “Salsa Mahonése” was served to French conquerors on Menorca. From France, this sauce began its triumphal march around the world under the French name “mayonnaise”.
The Duden says: Mayonnaise is a thick, cold sauce made from egg yolk, oil, lemon juice (or vinegar) and spices; short form: Mayo
2. How to prepare Mayonnaise?Today I will show you a sure-fire method for the preparation of a homemade mayo. For this you need a mixer with a whisk, a clean and fat-free bowl and tempered ingredients. Please take the ingredients out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking and prepare them at room temperature.
The preparation of the mayonnaise with the mixer is sure to succeed!
3. Making your own Mayonnaise with the StirrerThis is the classic method of preparation. The ingredients are gradually stirred in a suitable fat-free and dry bowl. Since the electric mixer does the manual work for us, it goes very quickly. Here again my hint to the tempered ingredients: Cold egg yolk and cold oil cannot be mixed together. Therefore:
The ingredients for the preparation of the mayonnaise should be prepared at room temperature 2 hours before the preparation.Important: Always add the oil slowly so that it can combine with the egg yolk. Further information in the recipe!
4. Cooking Video Mayonnaise prepared with the Mixer yourself
5. Recipe Mayonnaise with the Mixer
Mayonnaise with the Mixer
Classic recipe for homemade mayonnaise, preparation with a mixer. Tips and tricks from Thomas Sixt.
|1/2||tsp||mustard (medium-hot mustard or Dijon-mustard)|
|240||ml||sun flower oil|
|1-2||tbs||Water (as convenient)|
Process all ingredients at room temperature! Cream egg yolk, salt and mustard.
Stir in sunflower oil drop by drop.
When the mayonnaise is firm, slowly add more sunflower oil and work in.
Egg yolk and oil must combine to form a solid mass, the so-called emulsion.
Add vinegar or lemon juice and pepper and slowly stir in the rest of the oil. Stir in some water if necessary.
6. Calories homemade Mayonnaise, the Nutritional Values
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!