Pizza Dough Recipe For Fast and Slow Preparation
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
You can find my pizza dough recipe in this post.
Do you want the pizza to be perfect at home?
In addition to the dough preparation, you can take helpful information about the optimal baking process and tips from my pizzaiolo friend Luigi with you.
Secret 🙂 Pizza knowledge straight from Italy is waiting for you!
But piano – slowly, that’s what the preparation of the dough is all about.
Plan a little more time and conjure up a wonderful mafia cake. –
➽ Tips for fast dough preparation I have also added it.
Then let’s start. My step-by-step instructions below will guide you to the perfect result.
I wish you a lot of fun with the preparation and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Pizza Dough Recipe
The homemade yeast dough is usually allowed to rise several times.
For me, this dough is the ideal pizza dough for at home.
At the same time, the dough is optimized for preparation in the home oven at temperatures between 220 and 280°C.
Here are the step-by-step instructions. Have fun!
Baked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Total Time 1500 Min.
Simple instructions for preparing pizza dough in variants.
|250||g||Durum wheat semolina (reground)|
|1||Pinches||brown cane sugar (Optional)|
Prepare the two flours for the dough preparation.
Place 250 g of flour for each type in a mixing bowl.
Mix the two types of flour with the dough hook.
Add exactly 250 ml of cold water to the flour and knead for 15 minutes.
Let the flour dough rest in the bowl for 30 minutes.
Dissolve the fresh yeast in 75 ml of water. You can optionally add the sugar here and stir it in.
Pour the yeast water into the flour dough.
Add the olive oil to the flour dough.
The ingredients in the bowl of dough without salt.
Knead the dough for 15 minutes.
Add the salt to the dough and knead for 5 minutes.
The dough has a soft consistency and stays in the bowl.
Cover the dough with foil and place in the fridge for 12-14 hours.
The dough can now be cold.
After 12-24 hours in the refrigerator the dough will have increased in volume.
Shape the dough oblong. For this you need additional flour or ground durum wheat semolina.
Divide the dough into three portions. Use a pastry card for this.
If everything went right, your result on the kitchen board will look like this.
Form the pizza dough portions into balls.
Place the dough balls on a plate or roasting pan.
Cover the pizza dough and let it rise again in the fridge for 12 hours.
Cover and leave the risen 24 or 48 hour dough ready for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Shape the pizza dough balls into pizzas with your hands and place them on a baking tray oiled with olive oil.
Preheat the oven top/bottom heat at 280°C.
Top the pizza with tomato passata.
Pre-bake the pizza for about 8-10 minutes.
Remove the pizza and top as desired.
Finish baking the pizza and serve quickly.
Yeast Amount Tips:
-> Use more yeast (15 g per 500 g flour) for a short rising time (up to 1 hour).
-> Use less yeast (1-4 g) for long rising times (24-36 hours) of yeast dough in the refrigerator.
Tip for your pizza topping:
For everyone who has read this far:
Always cut or slice the ingredients for the pizza topping very thinly.
So you can keep the moisture under control.
Don’t put too much toppings, a thinly topped pizza bakes and tastes better!
Do you have further questions? Leave me a comment at the bottom of the page…
2. Calories And Nutritional Values
3. Tips For Making Pizza Dough Yourself
I’ve traveled the world as a chef and of course Italy is one of my favorite destinations.
Last year I got to know Luigi and because he speaks German, the culinary exchange, the pizza talk, was wonderful.
Here I summarize the information that we exchanged in front of the pizza oven:
- Prepare the dough with love and good humor.
- Italian music during preparation will put you in the mood 🙂.
- I used wheat flour 00 and hard wheat semolina reground as a base.
- With this flour mixture you will achieve the best result.
- First knead flour with 4/5 of cold water for 15 minutes.
- Let the flour dough rest for at least 30 minutes.
- This resting phase is called autolysis by professionals.
- Autolysis: In this resting phase the starch and the egg white swell.
- The gluten structure of the dough develops.
- In the remaining water, mix the fresh yeast, sugar would be an optional ingredient here.
- Add the yeast water and olive oil to the flour dough.
- Knead the yeast dough for 15 minutes.
- Add the salt.
- Knead the dough again for 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- The yeast dough has risen after 12-24 hours, remove and divide into three portions.
- Shape the three portions of dough into balls and again cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- After another 12-24 hours of resting, you can continue to work the dough.
- Set dough aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Shape pizzas and place on pizza stone or baking sheet and bake.
- I bake the pizza recently at 280°C top- bottom heat, 220°C also works and extends the baking time.
- I pre-bake the pizza with tomatoes for about 8 minutes.
- Then I cover with high quality ingredients and bake the pizza to the end.
Insider tip from the pizza maker: use 50% mineral water for the dough, this optimizes the volume formation and the taste!Says chef Thomas Sixt
4. Prepare Pizza Dough Quickly
Now let’s look at the quick dough preparation…
Prepare Quick Pizza Dough:
My mother always stirred the yeast dough together about an hour before preparing it.
The dough was then allowed to rise in a warm place.
With this quick method, the oven has proven itself as a proofing cabinet.
Set the oven to 30 °C or just turn on the light from the oven.
The heat generated by the lamp is usually sufficient to get the little yeast gnomes going.
The pizzaiolo rejects this quick method.
Luigi thinks only a long “rising time” at a low temperature creates the perfect pizza crust.
I can only support this argument, the long-term dough is by far more digestible and the baking result is better.
Prepare Quick Pizza Dough:
Let’s get to the preferred, fast dough preparation:
- Use 500 g of flour about 8-15 g of fresh yeast or dry yeast to 250 ml of warm water with a little sugar.
- Mix the ingredients with the dough hooks of the food processor for 15 minutes.
- Add 10-12 g of salt and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Then let the dough rise in the oven, covered at 30°C for one hour.
- Shape or roll out the dough and continue working.
- My mother let the dough rise for another 30 minutes after placing it on the tray.
- Then cover and bake in a preheated oven at sub-zero heat in the middle, 220°C.
The Mama and Oma yeast dough is a German invention, it tastes more like yeast, but it goes faster.Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Quick Pizza Dough Video:
5. Pizza Dough Baking At Home
In the truest sense of the word, the following applies here:
Many roads lead to Rome!
Next, let’s have a look at the technique of pizza baking…
Interesting facts about the real pizza oven
- The real pizza oven reaches temperatures beyond 300°C.
- In the oven, due to the design, there is always a hot draft, similar to the hot air stage in combination with bottom/top heat.
- The oven floor reaches very high temperatures due to preheating.
- If pizza is your favorite dish, it is worth buying a small pizza oven.
Cooking pizza at home in the oven
- Preheat the oven at the highest level hot air in combination with lower / upper heat for at least 20 minutes.
- Previously, I baked the pizza on hot air, but have changed that.
- We have tried different ovens and doughs in the test kitchen.
- Depending on the oven manufacturer, the hot air setting is too strong and dries out the pizza dough.
- The best level for home oven is sub-upper 220-280°C.
- Use uncoated pizza trays, you will get the best result.
- Coated pizza trays cannot withstand temperatures above 250°C.
- You can use enameled pizza trays without any problems.
- Baking paper can only be used up to 220°C.
- If you have a pizza stone at home, please increase the preheating time to 45 minutes.
- If you only have baking trays available, you can coat them with olive oil.
- I usually pre-form the dough on the board and finish on the cold baking sheet with olive oil.
6. Making Pizza Dough Round Or Square
The “round or square” discussion was the most fun with Luigi.
The pizzaiolo swears by the round pizza and he doesn’t like the baking tray variant at all :-).
What speaks for the round pizza shape?
- The baking result is more authentic and there are fewer “wet spots” in the middle of the pizza base.
- The dough can bake better and the edges become crispier.
- The preparation is faster.
- Note: Pizza stones and the accessories do not necessarily make the round shape easy.
- The shorter the handle of the pizza lifter, the more difficult it is to get the topped pizza “round” on the stone.
- Absolutely sure it succeeds with the baking tray.
What speaks for the square pizza shape?
- From 6 people upwards, the preparation is more practical.
- You can prepare larger quantities with several trays.
- Eating pieces of pizza together is sociable.
7. Optimize Baking Pizza Dough At Home
The topping influences the baking result.
Tomatoes and cheese, other ingredients are mostly too wet.
I always strain tomatoes or thicken them with tomato paste.
I always drain cheese or even squeeze the cheese properly.
Lately I always bake the pizza twice.
This is the absolute game changer for me:
Bake the pizza with tomatoes for the first time, about 2/3 of the baking time is right.
Then remove the pizza and top with the remaining ingredients.
Bake the pizza shortly.
The high-quality topping is shown to its best advantage, the ingredients do not cake.
You can taste every ingredient and it’s not a baked thing 🙂
Which pizza cheese is the right one?
Pizza bakers can only use mozzarella, fior di latte and burrata as pizza cheese.
I just experimented with the core of the burrata.
The cheese is particularly fine, stringy and is sold as stracciatella cheese.
Special forms of pizza allow parmesan.
Choosing the best cuts of cheese starts at the supermarket:
Feel the cheese through the bag and check for firmness. Only firm and whole pieces of cheese are optimal.
Drain the cheese in the kitchen on a sieve for at least 30 minutes.
Careful pressing has proven itself to get the moisture out of the cheese.
Then grate the cheese coarsely or cut it into thin slices and drain again.
Bake pizza twice
- For a better result, pre-bake the topped pizza without cheese for 6-7 minutes in the home oven.
- Then sprinkle the cheese and finish baking.
- This method requires the highest oven setting, hot air with combination bottom/upper heat, because heat escapes from the oven when it is opened.
For preparation at home, Luigi, the pizza maker, exceptionally recommends already grated mozzarella.Cheese tip from chef Thomas Sixt
The pizza cheese is drier than the wet, whole cheese from the bag!
8. FAQ About Pizza Dough
The most frequently asked questions and answers about the preparation of yeast dough for pizza are listed below.
Can I prepare pizza dough with dry yeast?
You can prepare the yeast dough with dry yeast. Use per packet of dry yeast, the specified amount of flour.
Is olive oil required for pizza dough?
Olive oil as an ingredient of the original Italian preparation. If you do not have olive oil in the house, you can use neutral vegetable oil.
What is a basic pizza dough recipe?
500g flour type 405 or 505, 1 packet of dry yeast, 3 pinches of sugar, 230-250 ml warm water – 50% of which is sparkling mineral water, 10 g salt.
How to make a quick pizza dough without yeast?
Knead 350g wheat flour, 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, 200 ml water, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a dough and continue processing. Mineral water makes a particularly airy dough.
9. Other Suitable Ideas And Recommendations
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!