Scallops Starter with Truffle, Recipe with Video for Gourmets
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
1. Frozen or Fresh ScallopsThe goods on our mainland are almost always frozen because the scallops spoil very quickly. Even at the fish market the scallops are mostly thawed out. This is not bad but good for your health. You can ask your fishmonger exactly which scallops you like best.
Scallops are a great dish for Christmas!
2. Gently defrost frozen ScallopsAt best, put the frozen scallops in cold water and let them thaw very slowly. Do not use warm or even hot water. The scallops are ready to use in about an hour.
3. Fry Scallops optimallyFirst dry the scallops, then fry them in a hot pan with some vegetable oil and some butter or directly in clarified butter on both sides. The scallops are sufficiently fried in less than 3 minutes from each side. I like to put some thyme and a little garlic in the pan and pour the scallops again and again with the flavored oil or oil butter. Generally note the temperature, too high heat is not necessary, too low heat unfortunately only makes the scallops boil and they then become rubbery and let water. Heat the pan a little more at the beginning, the butter should foam up nicely, then the temperature is right. Have a look at the cooking video.
At the beginning, please fry scallops in high heat, then they will become a poem!
4. Cooking Video Scallops with Truffle
5. Recipe Scallops as Starter with Truffle and Mashed PotatoesI love this dish because it is so easy to prepare and tastes great. Please get some real truffles, the right kind of potato for mashed potatoes (floury), some white truffle oil and the best scallops you can find.
Scallops Starter with Truffle and Mashed Potatoes
Starter with scallops and truffles on a mashed potato, a recipe by Thomas Sixt with step by step instructions to cook yourself.
|200||g||potatoes floury cooking|
|300||ml||chicken or vegetablee broth|
Peel and chop the potato, cook the potato pieces in chicken stock until soft.
Cut the prepared scallops crosswise in the middle, insert a few thin slices of truffle and prepare the scallops.
Cut the washed spring onion into rhombuses about 5 mm thick.
Halve and peel the shallot and prepare a slice of garlic.
Heat a pan and fry the prepared scallops with a little olive oil over high heat, adding the shallot and garlic at the beginning to flavor.
Turn the scallops over, add the spring onions, add some butter and cook both over a low heat until done.
Drain the potatoes and crush with a fork, season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg and stir in the olive oil.
Flavour the potato mash with truffle oil and a little butter and serve on warm plates.
Place the scallops on the stomping board, spread the spring onions, drizzle some gravy on the scallops and serve quickly.
6. Calories Scallops with Mashed Potatoes and Truffle, the Nutritional Values
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!