Turkey Legs in the Oven with Vegetables, Recipe with Cooking Video and Professional Tips
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Today I show you my turkey legs in the oven recipe .
This is a practical dish because you prepare the meat and side dishes together in the oven.
Put the turkey legs in the preheated oven with the vegetables on a baking sheet or in a large roasting pan.
This saves time and effort and hardly anything can go wrong.
This article shows two recipes for good turkey:
One is the variant with a vegetable oven, the other is a variant with a quick and easy tomato stock with capers and olives.
I’m happy if you cook it again.
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Turkey Legs in the Oven
Let’s start with the detailed guide.
You will find tips for shopping and variants or supplements after the recipe.
I wish you good luck!
Turkey legs in the oven with vegetables
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Total Time 60 Min.
Simple guide for preparing turkey legs in the oven.
|1||piece||red bell pepper|
|2||piece||turkey legs (turkey drumsticks)|
|Paprika noble sweet|
|100||ml||dry white win|
|black ground pepper|
Preheat the oven at 230° C hot air.
Prepare a baking tray or roasting dish for the turkey legs with oven vegetables and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Chop all the vegetables and prepare:
Potatoes in quarters, bell peppers in long pieces, courgettes in thick slices, aubergine as well, fennel in eighths, flaky onions.
Place all the vegetables in the roaster.
Add the turkey legs, season everything with salt, pepper, paprika and chilli, baste with olive oil.
Place the rosemary on top and place in the oven.
After about 30 minutes of cooking, add some white wine.
Please adjust the temperature depending on the size of the turkey legs.
At the beginning 230°C, then 210°C and finally even higher.
Cooking time 40-60 minutes.
Arrange the turkey legs and oven-roasted vegetables and enjoy.
2. Calories and Nutritional Values
3. Overview of Turkey Leg and Turkey Thigh
You can find the cuts of turkey drumstick (this guide), thigh and leg prepared differently in stores.
For all variants I have already prepared separate instructions for preparation:
To keep it clear I have included the other turkey recipes at the bottom of the page .
No problem if you stumble across a rolled turkey or a whole turkey in the supermarket, you’re sure to find the right preparation here.
4. Tips for Cooking Turkey Drumsticks in the Oven
Since turkey meat is generally very lean, I preheat the oven to 230°C and massage the turkey legs well with salt, pepper and olive oil.
The high heat promises little meat juice loss and a relatively short cooking time.
When I put the turkey legs in the oven, I reduce the temperature to around 210°C and let the turkey legs cook until crispy.
The cooking time for the turkey leg is around an hour, sometimes a little longer. I have prepared turkey drumsticks in my recipes.Tip from chef Thomas Sixt
4.1 Variation Roast Turkey Legs before Cooking in the Oven
You can also briefly sear the turkey legs on all sides in the pan before putting them in the oven.
This is not absolutely necessary but also good. When I do that, it’s like this:
- I heat a coated pan, put some olive oil or sunflower oil in the pan.
- Wash the turkey thighs and pat dry, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey thighs in the pan.
- Add one or two peeled garlic cloves and a sprig of thyme to flavor it.
- Fry the legs on all sides by turning them over.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add 50 g butter.
- The butter foams, season with salt and pepper.
- The butter now also absorbs the aromas of garlic and thyme.
- Baste the turkey thighs with the hot butter.
- As far as prepared you can put the turkey legs in the oven. Oven preheated to 230°C. That way you don’t interrupt the cooking process.
Roasting the turkey legs immediately brings color and roasted aromas to the meat.Cooking instructions in variants by chef Thomas Sixt
5. Braised Turkey Drumsticks
I have decided to complete the topic of turkey leg here and therefore also describe my recipe for turkey leg in the pan.
You can also prepare the recipe below in the oven, I just want to show you another alternative way of preparing turkey drumsticks.
5.1 Ingredients Braised Turkey Legs
For 2 People
- A zucchini sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil,
- Five pieces of peeled shallots
- Two turkey drumsticks
- Eight fresh tomatoes cut into quarters
- Some chili
- Two tablespoons of capers
- Eight to twelve black olives
- Four pieces of anchovies
- salt, pepper and sugar.
- Fry the zucchini in oil, remove from the pan/pot.
- Sauté shallots with seasoned turkey drumsticks.
- Add tomatoes, chili, capers, olives and anchovies, season with sugar.
- Either cook with the lid on the stove or in the oven at 180 °C for a good 1-1.5 hours.
- Add the zucchini and basil at the end for 5 minutes.
- Season the sauce with olive oil and a little butter!
5.2 Turkey Legs Braise Cooking Video
I’ll show you how to prepare it in the following video, it’s really easy and the advantage is that you only need a good pan with a dome lid.
The turkey leg does not get crispy with this method of preparation, the aromatic tomato stock makes up for it.
If you don’t have a dome lid available, you can also finish cooking the turkey legs in the pan in the oven.
6. Matching Side Dishes for Turkey Drumsticks
7. More Recipes with Turkey and Turkey Meat
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!