Gazpacho Recipe with Chef Tips for Spanish Summery Soup
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Today I’ll show you my gazpacho recipe.
The cold soup made from raw vegetables comes from southern Spanish and Portuguese cuisine.
“Gazpacho andaluz” and “Gaspacho” are common spellings.
The summer soup is a cold dish, wonderfully refreshing and flavorful on the palate.
Serve as an appetizer, my guests love this soup, vegetarians and meat eaters alike enjoy it after all.
Make your favorite people happy and mix them this delicious, cold soup.
It takes you less than 20 minutes.
Then beautiful, culinary moments follow.
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Gazpacho
You can find the instructions with the exact amounts of ingredients right here.
Please note the tips under the recipe.
I would be happy if you prepare this soup yourself and enjoy it!
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Total Time 50 Min.
Simple guide to prepare summer Spanish cold vegetable soup.
|500||g||medium sized tomato (or canned tomatoes or tomato passata)|
|2||Piece||bell pepper red|
|2||Piece||bell pepper yellow|
|1||Piece||glove of garlic (or young green garlic)|
|4||Prisen||black ground pepper|
|1||tsp||brown cane sugar|
|1/4||Bunch||Parsley (or thyme or other garden herbs)|
Cut the tomatoes in a cross shape with a sharp knife.
Blanch the tomatoes in boiling salted water for about 25-30 seconds.
Cool the tomatoes quickly in ice water and peel.
Fillet two tomatoes and cut the flesh into small cubes.
Prepare the diced tomatoes as an insert for the cold soup.
Peel the cucumber, prepare some cucumber as a soup ingredient:
Halve the cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
Cut the cucumber pieces into even slices and set aside.
Optionally, you can also cut small cubes.
Halve the red and yellow peppers, deseed and cut two halves into fine cubes and set aside as a soup accompaniment.
Peel the garlic, cut a clove of garlic into fine slices.
Cut the remaining, blanched and peeled tomatoes into quarters.
Chop up the peppers and cucumber as well.
Add 2 slices of bread and puree into a vegetable soup using a hand blender or blender.
Tip: Adding a little water makes it easier to mix.
Season the vegetable soup with olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, a little cayenne pepper, vinegar and finely chopped garlic, mix well again.
Optionally, you can pass the vegetable soup through a fine sieve.
At best, you put the soup in the freezer so that it is really nice and cold.
I like to fill the soup in a plastic bottle and then put it in the freezer.
Toast the remaining bread to serve with the soup later, please see the ideas in the recipe article.
Place the soup garnish in the cold soup bowls, pour over the soup, decorate and serve.
I like to put a few diced tomatoes aside for the roasted white bread slices and then serve the soup as shown in the picture.
I wish you a good appetite!
In star restaurants, we often prepared gazpacho without bread.
The soup was passed through a fine hair sieve and served with precisely cut vegetables.
2. Nutritional Values.
3. Gaspacho Tasty Tips
For the cold vegetable soup from Spain you need chilled tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, plus olive oil, white wine vinegar, some white bread, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and a little sugar.
The simplest version of the soup:
Chop all the ingredients in the blender, arrange and serve.
To make it a feast, here are some ideas for your cold summer soup party:
- Blanch and peel a few tomatoes, then fillet the tomatoes and cut the flesh into cubes.
- You can find detailed instructions for preparing diced tomatoes in the linked article.
- Finely dice one red and one yellow pepper and place in olive oil to add to the soup.
- Cut half of the cucumber (only the flesh without the seeds) into cubes and put them ready to use in the soup.
- Briefly toast part of the white bread, either sliced or diced, until crispy, then rub the bread slices with a halved clove of garlic and drizzle with olive oil. It’s Italian, but it tastes good. Serve the bread with the soup.
- Now chop all the remaining vegetable ingredients + some bread very vigorously in a blender, pass through a fine sieve or leave with the pieces of vegetable, season well (salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar, vinegar) and chill in the freezer.
- Arrange the delicious cold dish on cold plates.
- Add the prepared vegetable fillings to the cold soup as decoration and serve.
4. Gazpacho Andaluz Secrets
In Spain, I was told that almost every family has its own recipe for the cold soup.
The soup certainly arose from the idea of processing leftover vegetables quickly and effectively.
- Tomato, pepper, cucumber and garlic is always a good base.
- Add some water to mix, this protects the kitchen mixer.
- Adding kefir, buttermilk, yoghurt, cream or soy cream is not original.
- These ingredients make the soup creamier and less watery.
- Bread is usually included to get a nice bond.
- Instead of vinegar, lemon juice also tastes good.
- With Tabasco or Worcestershire sauce you bring a special taste touch to the soup.
- Soy sauce is also an insider tip in Spain, the umami taste is amazing.
- Use the spices sparingly, you will surely like the result.
If you experiment, please do it carefully. For example, you can scoop a cup from your soup and try one or the other ingredient in it.
The most important thing: Please serve the summer soup really cold! Put the soup and plate in the freezer for 30 minutes!Tip from chef Thomas Sixt
5. More Summer Soup Recipes
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!