Vegan Liver Sausage Recipe
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Here I would like to introduce my recipe Vegan Liver Sausage to you.
A hearty and quickly prepared spread that beats the taste of many a common meat liver sausage even without animals.
You have to experience this and be it out of curiosity: Vegan liver sausage tastes damn similar to a Fleischleberwurst!
For a long time I have been suspecting that meat is only carried by smoking, curing and its spices. The interesting thing is: banal tofu can do that too. If I use smoked tofu and use the same herbs, I get the same taste experience as with meat. You don’t necessarily have to be vegan or vegetarian to like this vegetable liver sausage.
Have fun with the preparation and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Shopping List Vegan Liver Sausage
For your homemade spread you should get these ingredients:
- Smoked tofu
- Kidney beans
- Shallots or onions
- Soy cream
- Rapeseed oil or safflower oil
- Mustard (Dijon mustard)
- Lemon juice
- Agave syrup
- Pickled green pepper
For the crown on the liver sausage bread you need:
- Fresh cucumber, as side dish
- Garden cress, as side dish
- Pickled cranberries, as a side dish – optional (sweet and hearty, very tasty!)
The tools for a successful preparation:
- Mixer or cutter for pureeing
- The usual hand tools such as pan, wooden board and knife…
2. Recipe Vegan Liver Sausage
Vegan Liver Sausage
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple instructions for preparing vegan liver sausage as a spread.
Liver Sausage Cream
|2-3||pc||shallots (You can also use fresh yellow onions.)|
|2||tbs||sun flower oil (or olive oil for frying)|
|150||g||kidney beans (canned)|
|1/2||pc||juice of one lemon|
|3||tbs||safflower oil (or rapeseed oil)|
|3||tbs||soy cream (vegetarian is also possible with cream)|
|1||tbs||agave syrup (honey also works)|
|1||tbs||green pickled pepper|
Liver Sausage prepare
Prepare the ingredients in the Kitchen.
Cut the smoked tofu crosswise.
Cut smoked tofu sticks.
Cut the smoked tofu into 0.5 cm cubes.
Dice the shallots like the smoked tofu pieces.
Add the tofu and shallots to the pan.
Fry with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the marjoram and fry as well.
Set some tofu cubes aside separately to serve.
Rinse kidney beans under cold water.
them in the blender.
Put fried onion tofu cubes in the blender.
–> Add the lemon juice of half a lemon,
–> 1 tbsp. mustard,
–> 1 tsp. green pickled pepper,
–> 3 tbsp. safflower oil,
–> 3 tbsp. soy cream,
–> 1 tbsp. agave syrup,
–> 1/2 tsp. salt.
Puree vegan liver sausage in the cutter until the desired consistency is achieved.
Garnish and Decoration
Peel and hollow out half a cucumber and cut it into suitable pieces.
Decorate bread with fresh cucumber, garden cress, diced tofu or boiled cranberries.
3. Nutritional Information
4. Tips and Variations for Vegan Liverwurst
My basic steps in preparing the liverwurst cream are quickly told and I have added some variant ideas for you.
4.1 Spread Preparation Tips
- I finely dice the tofu and shallots.
- I fry both in a pan and add marjoram when frying.
- I drain the canned kidney beans and rinse them under cold water.
- Everything except the side dishes goes into the blender. Some tofu cubes I keep for decoration and for the bite.
You can add garlic, alternating herbs like marjoram, oregano, dill, parsley and lovage.Variations Tip from Chef Thomas Sixt
4.2 Bread Tip
My bread for our spread is a self baked Low Carb bread with grains, nuts and vegetables.
4.3 Decoration Tips
As supplement and decoration I recommend:
- Cucumber: Peel and hollow out the cucumber. Cut the cucumber flesh and add.
- Further decoration tips: Garden cress, cranberries, tofu cubes….
- Prepare fresh tomato cubes and sprinkle on the bread.
- Colourful sesame furikake tastes exciting on the bread.
5. Other tasty Spreads
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!