Viennese Potato Salad
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1. Viennese Potato Salad Figlmüller, a good Start!
- 2. Prepare the Dressing for the Potato Salad
- 3. Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat” with Mayonnaise
- 4. Styrish Erdäpfelsalat with Pumpkin Seed Oil
- 5. Erdäpfelsalat with Lamb’s Lettuce “Vogerlsalat”
- 6. Onions in the Erdäpfelsalat
- 7. The right Potato Variety is Needed for Potato Salad!
- 8. More Recipes for Potato Salad
- 9. My Recipe for Viennese Potato Salad
- 10. Erdäpfelsalat Tips and Tricks
- 11. Nutrition Information about My Potato Salad
1. Viennese Potato Salad Figlmüller, a good Start!As a tourist and local you are at Figlmüller in the potato salad heaven. I don’t know of any gastromic establishment where potato salad tastes so good and the quality remains the same. Respect! There are three Figlmüller restaurants in the centre of Vienna, all close to Bäckerstrasse. The oldest and most famous restaurant is in the passage to Wollzeile, known for the fantastic Wiener Schnitzel. The second restaurant is called Lugeck at the beginning of the Bäckerstrasse, the third is in the Bäckerstrasse after the Lugeck on the right side. For those who want to add Wiener Schnitzel to the potato salad heaven, I recommend two visits: First eat Wiener Schnitzel from veal in the Lugeck, second try in the other both restaurants the big breaded Schnitzel from the pork. I wouldn’t be surprised if you stopped for a third time! But now quickly switch to making your own potato salad:
2. Prepare the Dressing for the Potato SaladThe potato salad dressing was shown to me by a Viennese cook with a heart. Beef broth, red wine vinegar, tarragon mustard, salt, pepper, sugar and red onion cubes. The special thing about the Viennese potato salad is that the onion cubes are added to the broth, but are not allowed to boil. They only have to draw and therefore still have a good bite. The tarragon mustard adds its typical Austrian “mustard” and here the proverb of the finest works! More details about the recipe below.
3. Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat” with MayonnaiseI don’t want to write much about it here because it’s a contribution of its own, the recipe potato salad with mayonnaise, to which I’d like to refer. Erdäpfelsalat with mayonnaise makes one or the other really happy!
4. Styrish Erdäpfelsalat with Pumpkin Seed OilPrepare my basic recipe potato salad below and add pumpkin seed oil to each serving on your plate. In addition I recommend the Styrian pumpkin seed oil from Pelzmann. The onions can be added raw, but freshly cut.
5. Erdäpfelsalat with Lamb’s Lettuce “Vogerlsalat”Vogerlsalat is only called that in Bavaria and Austria. Further names are Lamb’s Lettuce, Rapunzel and Field Salad. The Vogerlsalat is washed, cleaned (roots away!) and dried under the prepared Erdäpfelsalat lifted. Who makes it clever saves some salad for decoration and also a little dressing. Then marinated lettuce leaves are added to the salad and that looks great. Have a look at the article wash lamb’s lettuce, then everything will go just fine. Erdäpfelsalat with Vogerlsalat to the Wiener Schnitzel a classic combination.
6. Onions in the ErdäpfelsalatThe onion thing is with me with every potato salad recipe. The potato salad is no exception. The potato salad ferments when it is prepared with raw onions and remains standing for too long. For onions in potato salad there are three variants and rules in the preparation:
- Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of the potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down – keep cool for approx. one day.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
7. The right Potato Variety is Needed for Potato Salad!Potato varieties that do not decompose are in demand. These are, at best, shape-retaining, waxy (also called “fatty”) or predominantly waxy potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Hörnchen, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Sieglinde, Ditta, Cilena, Nicola, Selma. The floury potatoes are better for mashed potatoes and potato dough.
8. More Recipes for Potato Saladpotato salad with mustard, Bavarian potato salad from Munich, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough.
9. My Recipe for Viennese Potato Salad
Potato Salad Viennese Style
Potato salad Basic recipe with variations, presented by professional chef Thomas Sixt.
|20-30||ml||sun flower oil|
|30||ml||red wine vinegar|
|1||pc||onion (red onion)|
|1/2||bunch||chives (or parsley)|
Boil the washed potatoes in salted water until soft, drain and allow to evaporate briefly.
Bring to the boil in a washed-out pot, season with red wine vinegar, tarragon mustard, salt, pepper and sugar to taste with a strong sweet and sour taste.
Peel the red onion and finely dice it, add the diced onion to the potato salad dressing and leave to stand for a few minutes.
Peel and slice the potatoes, place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the sunflower oil and mix.
Add the lightly cooked onion cubes with a ladle to the sliced potatoes, pour the marinade over the potato slices, stir carefully and marinate.
Let the potato salad steep for 20 minutes, then season to taste again and serve sprinkled with freshly chopped chives or parsley.
10. Erdäpfelsalat Tips and Tricks
In the recipe above I describe the classic preparation of potato salad. The potatoes are cooked raw and unpeeled in salt water. You can save time and energy and also cook the potatoes peeled and sliced in broth or in a steam cooker or steam pot.
11. Nutrition Information about My Potato Salad
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!