Bavarian Potato Salad Recipe with Kitchen Story and many Tips directly from Munich Chef
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1. Which Potato Variety is used for Bavarian Potato Salad?
- 2. Old Bavarian Potato Salad
- 3. What is so special about Bavarian Potato Salad?
- 4. Bavarian Potato Salad Schuhbeck
- 5. Bavarian Potato Salad and Onions
- 6. Bavarian Potato Salad with Cucumber
- 7. Bavarian Potato Salad with Herbs
- 8. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
- 9. Recipe Bavarian Potato Salad
- 10. Bavarian Potato Salad Tips
- 11. Calories (kcal) Bavarian Potato Salad, Nutritional Values
1. Which Potato Variety is used for Bavarian Potato Salad?The right potato varieties for the Bavarian potato salad are shape-retaining, firm boiling (also called “fat boiling”) or predominantly firm boiling potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Croissants, Cilena, Ditta, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Nicola, Sieglinde and Selma. This also applies to other potato salads.
2. Old Bavarian Potato SaladI prepare this potato salad as traditionally as my grandmother taught me. Diluted vinegar essence is used, the potatoes crushed particularly strongly, fresh chives must be in and a simple sunflower oil. Otherwise only salt, pepper and sugar.
3. What is so special about Bavarian Potato Salad?I would like to answer this question straight away – the Bavarian potato salad is usually a Gatsch. More or less of the cooked potato slices are pressed finely and slices are only sporadically recognizable. The advantage is a very full and potatoy taste. The potato pieces absorb the marinade very well and therefore this white-blue kind of potato salad is intense and strong in taste.
4. Bavarian Potato Salad SchuhbeckWith the Alfons Schuhbeck we usually added crispy fried bacon cubes to the potato salad. You can add one tablespoon of crispy bacon cubes or strips per portion to my variant. The onion cubes were always boiled in broth to avoid fermentation.
5. Bavarian Potato Salad and OnionsThe onion info is included with every potato salad recipe. Unfortunately, I have too often had a twice fermented potato salad on the table when I have eaten on the way. Therefore: Raw onions like to ferment in potato salad, so that you prevent that there are three variants for onions in potato salad:
- Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of the potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down – keep cool for approx. one day.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
6. Bavarian Potato Salad with CucumberI don’t know pickles in Bavarian potato salad. Maybe this is rather New Bavarian. The gherkin from the jar is still suitable. You can also add cucumber slices and lamb’s lettuce to the salad and add colour and freshness to the potato salad
7. Bavarian Potato Salad with HerbsThe Bavarian likes the green Wiesn and his herb garden. A little streaky cut parsley fresh from the garden, a lovage or a tablespoon of chives rolls are an excellent tasty addition to the Bavarian potato salad. Be careful with the chives, the shelf life is limited, as with the addition of onions.
8. Other Recipes for Potato Saladpotato salad with mustard, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough, Viennese Potato Salad.
9. Recipe Bavarian Potato Salad
Bavarian Potato Salad
Real Bavarian potato salad from Munich with tips and tricks, original presented by German Chef Thomas Sixt.
|300||g||Potatoes (boarische Salaterdäpfeln)|
|1||pc||onion (gelbe boarische Zwiebe)|
|2||tbs||sun flower oil (damit da salat glanzt)|
|150||ml||chicken broth (oder Gmiasbriaa)|
|4||tbs||white wine vinegar (vielleicht a bisserl mehr)|
|1||tsp||Salt (Reichenhaller Soiz)|
|4||pinch||Pepper (für de schärfn)|
|1/2||tsp||Sugar (für de sissn)|
|6||pc||radishes (fehln am buidl, kannst dazua gebn)|
Cook the potatoes in salted water until soft, drain and peel.
Leave the potatoes to cool briefly, then cut into slices and place in a bowl.
Cut the onion in half, peel and cut into fine cubes.
Sweat onion cubes in sunflower oil until colourless, add broth and bring to the boil.
Add vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and sugar to the potatoes, pour in the stock and marinate.
Crush the potatoes to taste and make a creamy and well-binding salad.
Let the salad steep for at least 10 minutes.
Season to taste again with salt and pepper before serving.
10. Bavarian Potato Salad Tips
I usually cut the raw, peeled potatoes into slices before cooking. So I can halve the cooking time and it goes much faster. This also works with Bavarian potato salad and even if the potato slices are boiled too soft, it doesn’t matter, because we need gatache anyway. The method saves you time, energy and you don’t have to peel the potatoes hot.
11. Calories (kcal) Bavarian Potato Salad, Nutritional Values
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!