Potato Salad with Mayonnaise, Recipe with many Chef Cooking Tips
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1. Which Potatoes to use for Potato Salad
- 2. Mayonnaise for Potato Salad
- 3. Making Mayonnaise for Potato Salad yourself
- 4. Mayonnaise Potato Salad from Austria
- 5. Grandma’s Potato Salad with Mayonnaise
- 6. Onions in Potato Salad with Mayo…
- 7. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
- 8. Recipe
- 9. Potato Salad Preparation Tips
- 10. Nutritional Information about Potato Salad with Mayonnaise
1. Which Potatoes to use for Potato SaladFor the potato salad with mayonnaise you need potato varieties that do not disintegrate. These are shape-retaining, firmly boiling (also called “fatty”) or predominantly firmly boiling potato varieties: Agria, Bamberger Hörnchen, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Sieglinde, Ditta, Cilena, Nicola, Selma. The floury potatoes are better for mashed potatoes and potato dough.
2. Mayonnaise for Potato SaladIf you need to be quick, I also use standard mayonnaise from the refrigerated shelf. Mostly I mix them with Creme Fraiche (correct spelling: Crème fraîche), so that the strong mayonnaise is softened somewhat. The coronation you reach of course with a homemade mayonnaise and this I present here in short version. The article Mayonnaise making itself deals with this in detail.
3. Making Mayonnaise for Potato Salad yourselfMake the ingredients for 250 g of mayonnaise yourself: I use 2 fresh egg yolks, currently meadow eggs; 4 pinches of salt, currently rock salt from Austria; 240 ml vegetable oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil or corn oil; 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar and 4 pinches of pepper.
3.1 Making Mayonnaise for Potato Salad yourself Cooking VideoIn the video I show the preparation, this post is not sponsored!
4. Mayonnaise Potato Salad from AustriaSince I have been living in Vienna for almost 20 years, I can write something about it. Mayonaise potato salad is very popular in Vienna as a side dish with Friday fish. Then it also appears on the menu of coffee houses and offers a pleasant change. Is something done differently or specially? My level of knowledge says no to that. Usually the basic preparation is refined with parsley or chives and then it is served on the table.
5. Grandma’s Potato Salad with MayonnaiseI know the mayonnaise potato salad with cress from my childhood. During the asparagus season it was mixed with pieces of asparagus cooked until firm to the bite and applied accordingly. Grandma used to add peas, fresh from the garden, cooked briefly. Likewise, finely chopped pickled gherkins taste great with this grandma-style salad, because the pickled gherkins add a sour-sweet taste to the potato salad.
6. Onions in Potato Salad with Mayo…I preach my onion tip with every potato salad recipe. The potato salad with raw onions ferments very quickly when left to stand longer. For onions in potato salad, the following rules and variants must therefore be observed: Just before serving, cut the onions fresh with a sharp knife, then mix with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place). Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down. Alternatively, onion cubes are briefly boiled in the broth for the potato salad. – So about one day refrigerated shelf life. Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
6.1 Dicing Onions Cooking Video InstructionsAnother video I produced with the team of the daily newspaper derstandard and you can find it here.
7. Other Recipes for Potato Saladpotato salad with mustard, Bavarian potato salad from Munich, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough, Viennese Potato Salad.
Potato Salad with Mayonnaise
Potato salad with Mayo tips and tricks, presented by German Chef Thomas Sixt.
|250||g||Potatoes (washed, peeled)|
|500||ml||Vegetable broth (or chicken broth)|
Cut the peeled potatoes into 4 mm thick slices and cook in the broth until soft.
Place the potatoes in a bowl with a ladle from the broth and let cool.
Make your own mayonnaise according to the instructions and cooking video in the article or buy a finished mayonnaise.
Season the potato slices with salt, pepper, a little sugar and a little white wine vinegar with a little broth.
Peel the onion and cut into cubes, see the cooking video. Add the onion cubes to the potato salad and mix in.
Finish the cooled potato salad with the mayonnaise and season to taste again.
Serve Mayo potato salad, decorate with cress and halved cocktail tomato. Bon appetit!
9. Potato Salad Preparation Tips
Here at Mayo potato salad I show my favorite fast potato cooking method for potato salad. But you can also make it classic and cook the potatoes whole with peel. Nothing stands in the way of preparation in a steam cooker or steam pot.
10. Nutritional Information about Potato Salad with Mayonnaise
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!