Fried Dumplings Recipe for Bavarian Knödelgröstl
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
In this article I will show you my Fried Dumplings Recipe for Bavarian Knödelgröstl.
For roasted dumplings you should use bread dumplings or napkin dumplings from the previous day.
Roasted dumplings are a popular leftover food in Bavaria and Austria.
Instead of the typical and well-known preparation with egg I show you today a variation with sauerkraut and apple.
I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Fried Dumplings
Following my recipe with exact ingredients.
I wish you good success and am happy about a comment…
Fried Dumplings – Bavarian Knödelgröstl
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple instructions for preparing dumpling gröstl.
Sauerkraut as a side dish with fried dumplings
|300||g||Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage)|
|200||ml||concentrated vegetable broth|
Ingredients for glazed apples
|4||pinches||brown sugar (I prefer to use raw cane sugar!)|
Ingredients for dumpling gröstel
|4-6||pc||Bread dumplings from the day before|
|1||tsp||majoram (Dried marjoram has proved its worth here…)|
|1||tbsp||horseradish (named “Meerrettich” in Germany, “Kren” in Austria)|
Place the sauerkraut in a large saucepan with the white wine and vegetable stock on the stove and bring to the boil.
Add the bay leaf.
Let the sauerkraut simmer for 20 minutes at medium heat.
Wash and halve the apple, remove the core and cut into eighths.
Brown the apple slices in a large pan with clarified butter, then add the sugar and caramelise lightly.
Place the apples on a plate and clean the pan.
Cut the dumplings into slices about 5 mm thick.
Heat the pan and fry the dumpling slices on both sides in sunflower oil.
Add the butte, froth and season with marjoram, salt and pepper.
Drain the sauerkraut onto a sieve and arrange on warm plates.
Add the roasted dumplings and apple slices in a fan shape.
Decorate with the fraiche cream and radish, sprinkle with fresh horseradish and serve.
Alternatively you can pass some sauerkraut juice and boil it up in a second pot.
Refine with horseradish and butter as well as cream or crème fraîche and boil down.
Then arrange the sauerkraut in the middle.
Add the roasted dumplings and the apple pieces.
Mix the sauce with a hand blender and add to the Gröstl.
2. Calories and Nutritional Values
3. Shopping List Fried Dumplings – Bavarian Knödelgröstl
For the fried dumpling you need the following ingredients…
- Bread dumplings or napkin dumplings from the day before, pretzel dumplings also work!
- White wine dry
- Vegetable broth
- Horseradish from the glass
- Créme fraiche
- Salt, pepper, sugar
- Radischchen for the decoration
You can find the exact amounts of ingredients further down in the Recipe Fried Dumplings – Bavarian Knödelgröstl.
4. Top Tips for Fried Dumplings
Here are some good tips for your Dumpling Gröstl…
- You can fry the dumpling slices in a large pan or fry them crispy with a little more fat.
- Were the dumplings a side dish for roast goose the day before?
- Then you can use some goose fat to fry the dumplings and conjure up a special taste for Gröstl.
- Only slices of fried goose oil will make Gröstl a gourmet experience!
- Important for dumplings: The side dish should be ready before you put the dumplings in the pan for frying.
- Instead of sauerkraut you can serve this dumpling with a colourful leaf salad or a green salad.
- Season the dumplings with salt, pepper and marjoram, then the Gröstl tastes better. Butter rounds off the taste…
- When friends visit you, a dumpling is a great dish. You can prepare the Gröstl quickly and serve it as finger food on small plates.
Then one last tip remains… for Gourmets 🙂 …
Pass some sauerkraut juice into a second pot.Tip from Chef Thomas Sixt
Bring sauerkraut juice to the boil and refine with cream or crème fraîche and horseradish.
Reduce the sauce by half, then mix with cold butter and add to Gröstl. WOW that tastes delicious!
5. More Ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!