How to Cook Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages, New Tips from Bavarian
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer, cookbook author and blogger.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
According to legend, cooking Weißwurst was invented by Moser Sepp in the Gasthaus zum Ewigen Licht on Munich’s Marienplatz on 22 February 1857, a Fasching Sunday.
Joseph wanted to make bratwurst but he ran out of sheep intestines. The apprentice finally brought pig intestines to the butchery. By necessity, the sausages were put in boiling hot water and not on the grill, because the boss was afraid the sausages would burst on the grill.
We know from history books that the Boudin Blanc was already produced in France in the 14th century and is mentioned in cookbooks from the 19th century onwards. All good things come from France 🙂 and we cooks can confirm this!
As a cook with white-blue roots, it is a matter of honor that I take care of the preparation of this royal Bavarian specialty. So I have now put together a detailed article and written down all my tips for you. No matter if you are at home in Passau, Hamburg, Vienna, Moscow, New York, Sydney or Tokyo, these instructions will help you to feel Bavarian happiness. Enjoy reading and have fun! Hollarodrio 🙂
Table of Contents
- 1. Cooking Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages, that’s how you do it right!
- 2. Recipe Cooking Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages
- 3. Nutritional Values and Calories
- 4. Eating Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages in style
- 5. Tips and New Ideas for Leftover Weißwurst
- 6. Frequently Asked Questions
- 7. Further Cooking Tips and Online Cooking School
- 8. Even more Bavarian recipes
1. Cooking Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages, that’s how you do it right!
I remember our first family outing to the inn “Zum Spöckmeier” at Marienplatz. I was not even 10 years old and it was a real experience. My mom put on the Dirndl and we boys were out in the Lederhosen.
The Weißwurst breakfast was simply great! The sausages were served at the table in small pots in the cooking broth, which was visually a feast for the eyes and the sausages were hot and delicious. It wasn’t until many summers later that I really learned how to cook Weißwurst with Alfons Schuhbeck and finally understood how the sausage would fit perfectly onto my plate.
The right clothing, Dirndl and Lederhosen are therefore the most important thing for the preparation of the sausages 🙂 only in the Bavarian costume you can give the sausages the right vibration. Here with a smile on your face the most important preparation points and ingredients overview:
- Dress Dirndl or leather pants
- Get the pretzels from the baker or bake them in the oven
- Cut the soup vegetables into small pieces and place them in a pot
- Add bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and Bavarian salt
- Pour original Schwabinger well water into the pot and bring to the boil
- Season the brew, it may taste very salty
- Place the sausages in the boiling water and pull the pot away from the stove
- Serve the sausages after about 15 minutes cooking time without lid with pretzel and sweet mustard.
Next, let’s look at how to eat the sausage in style. I have prepared some photos for you. So stay tuned and enjoy the Bavarian air!
The sausage needs salty water, without salt in the water the sausages leach out and do not taste good!Preparation tip from Bavarian Chef Thomas Sixt
2. Recipe Cooking Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages
Cooking Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages
Cooked, photographed and written down by Bavarian chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple guide for the preparation of Munich sausage.
Background music – Supplements
Preparation of the sausages
|1||tbsp||Salt (I use Bavarian primal salt)|
|1,2||L||Water (Schwabing well water)|
|6||pc||White sausages Munich Weißwürste|
Place the accompanying pretzels and mustard on the table and set the table.
Prepare the ingredients. Wash and chop the soup vegetables and prepare the spices, salt and sausages.
Boil the vegetables cut into small pieces with salt and spices in a pot with the water.
Place the sausages in the boiling water, then leave to stand beside the cooker for 10-15 minutes.
Bring the sausages to the table in a pot and enjoy with sweet mustard and pretzels.
Sweet mustard or hot mustard?
What tastes good is allowed, but nevertheless the Bavarian sweet mustard is definitely the first choice for this dish.
3. Nutritional Values and Calories
4. Eating Weißwurst, Munich Veal Sausages in style
There are two methods for eating the sausages:
- Bring the sausage to your mouth with your fingers and “zest” the contents of the sausage skin.
- Cut the sausage in half lengthwise with a knife and fork and peel the sausage contents from the skin.
Both methods are allowed and bring you culinary happiness on the palate.
Eating Weißwurst with or without skin is a matter of taste. In any case, the sausage casing is edible, “Zuzeln” at the table is exceptionally allowed!Eating white sausage Tip from Bavarian chef Thomas Sixt
5. Tips and New Ideas for Leftover Weißwurst
Sometimes the eyes are bigger than the stomach… if you have sausages to spare, you can use them as leftovers:
- Cut into slices without skin, breadcrumbs, fry and serve on a salad
- Peel the sausages from the intestines and wrap them in strudel dough, then bake them in the oven
- Put the sausages on skewers and then dip them in batter, then deep-fry —> Corn dogs
- Serve the peeled sausages in slices or fine strips with vegetables and noodles in a chicken soup with chives
- Wrap the sausages in puff pastry and prepare Bavarian puff pastry sausages named sausages in a “bed skirt”
- Sauté the peeled sausage pieces and serve with potato or dumpling “groestel”
The sausage from Bavaria is compatible with many other ingredients, let your creativity run free!Tip for recycling leftovers from cook Thomas Sixt
6. Frequently Asked Questions
I have summarised the most frequently asked questions about Weißwurst in the cooking questions section.
7. Further Cooking Tips and Online Cooking School
8. Even more Bavarian recipes
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!